12th Night in Caid also brings with it Coronation. There will be a Dirty Dozen Donation Derby in order to help bring the artisans of Caid together and create lovely items for Their Majesties to share with other Kingdoms and people of the populace.
What is a Dirty Dozen Donation Derby?
The basic rules for the Dirty Dozen Donation Derby
- All entrants must create 12 items based on a theme that are suitable for largesse
- All entries must be tagged with the makers name, and ready to be gifted the day of the competition.
- Items do not need to be documentable, just SCA relevant.
- Items should not have any heraldry on them (as they are meant to be given to other areas and general gifts).
- Judging is done by the populace. Each entrant display will have a cup placed next to it and anyone may put a provided token into the accompanying cup to denote their choice. The entrant with the most tokens in their cup at the end of the day chooses one item from any one of the other entries as a prize. Each entrant then chooses from the remaining entries according to how many tokens they received (largest to smallest number). Each entry may only be chosen once as a prize.
- After the Derby, the remaining 11 items from each entry will be given to Their Majesties to be used as largess during Their Reign.
Examples of 12 items suitable for a specific time period:
– 12 needle books
– 12 Mugs
– 12 hats from different (or the same) period(s)
– 12 children’s toys
– 12 rings
– 12 pairs of socks
– 12 home-baked breads
The Derby usually takes place at Coronations/12th Night. For more information on 2020 12th Night Coronation, check out their Facebook Event page here.
Thanks to Josh Thaler for the helpful description of this activity.